We're launching The Neuron on Product Hunt tomorrow! Go make an account so you can comment something funny when we launch :)
Here’s what’s going on in the world of AI today:
- The gold rush for AI chips 👀
- Salesforce plays copycat 😼
- A crisis hotline powered by ChatGPT 🔔
- An AI-powered stuffed animal 🧸️
The Hunt For AI Chips 🍟
Generative AI might be the darlings of Silicon Valley right now, but it's nothing without the GPUs that power it.
We're talking about computer chips, that piece of silicon hardware that powers everything on your laptops, from games to crypto mining to storing cat albums.
And now ... AI models. Training AI models takes immense computing power, which is why AI companies are scrambling to get their paws on as many GPUs as they can.
Wall Street loves 'em too. Nvidia stock price has doubled since generative AI took the world by storm last fall.
Cash might not grow on trees, but it grows in Nvidia facilities.
Why it matters: The appetite for powerful GPUs is increasing, and the most prepared players are ready to devour a greater portion of the market.
Salesforce Listened To Us 👂
We hate to be the guys who say we told you so ... but we totally told you so. Yesterday we wrote:
"Whether Salesforce gets with the GPT game or decides to triple down on Einstein will be a big move to watch."
Hours later, that 'big move' came to fruition when Salesforce announced its own plan to integrate GPT's generative AI into its current tech stack. Here's what's on tap:
1/ Einstein + GPT = Einstein GPT. Like Hubspot, the new pilot program generates email drafts and autoreplies by pulling data from a customer's data cloud. No more searching mindlessly for someone's email address.
2/ GPT comes to Slack, too. ChatGPT will be available in Slack's messenger to help you instantly reply to messages, summarize threads, and learn about anything. No more pretending like you know wtf is going on.
As if that wasn't enough for one day, Salesforce Ventures announced a $250 million generative AI investment fund.
Why it matters: companies integrating GPT into their work management flow is becoming a prerequisite, not a nice-to-have.
Smarter Than a Robot? 🤖
Albert Einstein and Nikola Tesla were two of history's greatest investors. They also hated each other.
Which of the following images is hand-made, and which is AI-generated? Go with your gut :)
(keep reading to see if you're correct)
Around the Horn 🦄
- Researchers at Johns Hopkins are building AI based on our human brain cells.
- Stability AI announced that it's acquiring Init ML, the creators of Clipdrop, a popular imaging tool.
- The backstory on how Google became cautious of AI (WSJ).
- OpenAI/ChatGPT had 1.1 billion visits in February, compared to 667 million in January and 304 million in December.
- Can you use AI tools to fool the judges in an "advertisement Turing test"?
Treats To Try 🍿
Today we're showcasing some of the awesome AI projects that came out of our hackathon!
- CrisisLine is a 24/7 humanitarian crisis hotline that you can call or text, all powered by ChatGPT.
- People IQ uses semantic search to generate briefings, emails, and invites based on their network.
- Pilot helps you generate code for large-scale software systems using an initial spec.
- eLLMo is an AI-powered stuffed animal that talks to kids!
DM us links on Twitter: @nonmayorpete & @noahedelman02.
Are you new to all this AI stuff? Here's The 3-Minute Guide to Slaying Your Dinner Convo About AI to get you up to speed. Or at least smart enough to impress your family.
Leo Sends His Regards
Trivia Answer: A is from an artist, B is from an AI.
- That's all we have for today. See you cool cats on Twitter if you're there: @nonmayorpete & @noahedelman02.
- Get your brand in front of 21,000+ professionals by sponsoring The Neuron.
Disclaimer: we did not use AI to write today’s piece.
What'd you think of today's email?