Yesterday was an insane day in AI. We're experiencing exceptionally high demand :)
Here’s what’s going on in the world of AI today:
- GPT-4 launched ... and it's nuts 🤯
- Learn anything in the world with AI 🧑🎓
- Google & Anthropic ship updates 🚢
- Why are people saying "please" to ChatGPT 🙏
GPT-4 Is Here. Here's What You Need To Know👇
OpenAI launched GPT-4 yesterday, and it could be revolutionary.
Here's everything you need to know:
1/ It's way, way smarter: GPT-4's reasoning skills and ability to handle complex tasks are far superior. The new model performs in the 90th percentile on the Bar Exam, while GPT-3.5 performed in the 10th percentile.
2/ Its visual skills are extraordinary: GPT-4 lets ChatGPT see and understand images. The model can apply logic to pictures, like describing, analyzing, and performing tasks on them. That enabled a pretty insane "napkin sketch to website" demo.
3/ You control its style: ChatGPT-3 writes like a robot (shocker!). GPT-4 introduces a massive upgrade to ChatGPT's 'steerability,' or the ability to steer the model's style in a direction you prefer. Plus, it can handle 25,000+ words.
4/ It behaves better: Remember when Reddit users broke ChatGPT to say crazy stuff? GPT-4 responds to 'disallowed' content 82% less often than GPT-3.5.
GPT-4 is already supercharging companies, supporting Khan Academy to build an assistant to support students and teachers and Be My Eyes to create a virtual AI assistant that aids low-vision and blind users.
So far, only ChatGPT Plus subscribers have been granted access to GPT-4, and its API will welcome developers over the coming weeks.
Already, people are discovering some pretty crazy capabilities: it can code games, write lawsuits and even lie to people.
Bottom line: A wave of new features, products, and companies are about to emerge from GPT-4. Get ready!
FROM OUR PARTNERS
Learn literally anything in the world. Powered by Gen AI.
Imagine this: What if you could take a course on any subject in the world?
That’s what Learn.xyz is building. They’re a learning platform that uses AI to make learning about anything fun again.
We’re not exaggerating: type something you've always wondered, like:
- "How does generative AI work?"
- "Why do cats stare out the window?".
And in seconds, their app spits out an entire course with lessons, images, and quizzes. It also suggests new topics, so you’ll spend hours going down (productive) 🐇 rabbitholes.
We tried it out on our commutes and we love it. But a quick warning: if you love to learn, you might become addicted to this product.
They’re in closed beta but are giving The Neuron readers exclusive access to the platform with code “PETE”.
PS: The image had nothing to do with AI - we just hoped you would read this paragraph 🤭
Google & Anthropic Make Announcements 🚀
Both Google and Anthropic released significant announcements about their AI-powered tools for businesses yesterday.
But with the GPT-4 excitement, their finer details might've gotten lost in your feed.
First, Google opened dev access to its PaLM API, which lets people build content and chat applications on top of Google's best language models. Did someone say emergency PaLM hackathon? 🤲
Then, Anthropic took its own swing at OpenAI by opening access to Claude, its highly developed ChatGPT competitor. According to the team, Claude is like ChatGPT but more conversational and interactive. ChatGPT-3, that is.
Finally, Google Workspace got in on the action with new AI features that make drafting content and emails seamless in Docs and Gmail for its over 3 billion users.
Bottom line: OpenAI's competitors are shipping at a rapid pace, but those who jump the gun in the news risk shooting themselves in the foot.
Around the Horn 🦄
- Why people are nice to ChatGPT and say things like 'please' and 'thank you'.
- Bing's AI engine has reportedly been running on GPT-4 this entire time.
- Duolingo is launching a new subscription tier, "Max", that is powered by GPT-4.
- Adept is raising a $350 million Series B to build the ultimate AI internet assistant.
- A Coinbase director put an Ethereum contract through GPT-4 and discovered a number of potential exploits.
Treats To Try 🍿
- This AI tool explains what other people's code means (What does this code do?).
- Nabla built a GPT-3-powered copilot that transcribes doctors' consultations into clinical notes.
- ChatHub lets you talk to ChatGPT and Bing at the same time to compare answers.
- How to create an entire video game using ChatGPT and Replit in less than 20 minutes.
- Milo: a parenting copilot, powered by GPT-4.
- Keeper: can AI help you find the one?
DM us links on Twitter: @nonmayorpete & @noahedelman02.
Yesterday's poll answer: 76% percent of you think AI's leading models in 2030 will be open-source. Here's today's poll:
Are you ready for GPT-4?
- That's all we have for today. See you cool cats on Twitter if you're there: @nonmayorpete & @noahedelman02.
- Get your brand in front of 22,000+ professionals by sponsoring The Neuron.
What'd you think of today's email?